1959
1968
1969
Early 1990’s
Late 1990’s
2000
2001
2005
2010
2012
2016
2017
January 2018
April 2018

1959

 Dennis acquired George Clarke (Derby) Limited and his wife, Norma, joined the company. After Ascott Motors and Ascott Garages went into liquidation, Dennis and Norma bought the old Ascott company seal and started using the trading name – Ascott Transport.

1959

1968

Norma qualified as an HGV Class 1 driver

1968

1969

Dennis and Norma renewed the “Ascott” trading relationship with Pirelli. Under the guidance of Dennis and Norma Ascott the business traded successfully through two major recessions which hit the transport sector very heavily.

1969

Early 1990’s

Pete – then Joey – joined the family business. Both of them obtained their HGV Licenses on their 21st birthdays and continued driving for many years.

Early 1990’s

Late 1990’s

They rented their first warehouse – in Wellington Street, Burton.

Late 1990’s

2000

Dennis unfortunately passed away and the family continue with the business with Norma as Chairman.

2000

2001

The family bought an old aircraft hangar, which was being used for warehousing, together with five acres of land at Foston to form a base for their growing logistics operation. This hangar and site had been part of the Church Broughton Airfield where Sir Frank Whittle had developed the jet engine during the Second World War. The company formally changed its name from George Clarke (Derby) Limited to Ascott Transport Limited.

2001

2005

They doubled their freehold warehousing capability by building a modern extension to the ‘old’ hangar. All the time, customer demands were leading them to provide more and more warehousing so they were continually renting units to meet these demands. In the decade from first acquiring the hangar, they had purchased adjacent land and property extending the overall site at Foston to over 25 acres.

2005

2010

They had extended their existing warehouse at Foston again and built offices for their ever-growing staff numbers – one of their purchases had been an old adjoining poultry farm extending to 11 acres which had provided 110,000 sq ft, albeit low-level, warehousing.

2010

2012

Due to two of ATL’s trading partners requiring service provision in Carlisle, ATL obtained new warehousing totalling 250,000 sq ft and office accommodation for its growing staff requirement. ATL now represents the national Palletline network in Carlisle and Burton/Derby areas.

2012

2016

Construction of a new workshop and more offices had been completed and a new 190,000 sq ft high density warehouse, with a gatehouse and additional office accommodation, was underway.

2016

2017

ATL built an additional 15,000 sq ft office at Foston and acquired other outposts strategically placed across England, including Marchington in Staffordshire and Durham. It now had 90 commercial vehicles and 150 trailers. The growth of the business surpassed £20m turnover, which had doubled in less than 10 years, and had approximately 220 members of staff.

2017

January 2018

ATL officially opens the larger high-bay 190,000 sq ft warehouse at Foston with twice the capacity of its existing warehouses.

January 2018

April 2018

In April, Pete and Joey decided to stand down from the day-to-day operational engagement of ATL and become Chair and Vice-Chair of parent company Foston Park Limited. As a result, external appointment Jon Ward assumes managing director of ATL.

April 2018