Head of Network & Freight
Reporting to the Operations Director, the Head of Network & Freight will be responsible for contributing to the profile and reputation of the business. You will reflect the operational distinctiveness that is ATL; a business savvy, solution focused logistics professional who is addicted to having an impact, determined to make a difference and not afraid to challenge the status-quo. Additionally being responsible for the effective utilisation of the Class 2 vehicle fleet, including drivers and the effective utilisation of the allocated warehousing space for our freight customers.
Staff management responsibility:
- Network Planning Staff
- Business Development Executive
- Cross-Dock Operation
- Customer Services Team
Main duties and responsibilities
- Uphold organisation’s core values. Responsible for providing a positive and encouraging atmosphere at all times to ensure all staff work to their best abilities.
- Working with all organisational staff to maintain and develop a positive progressive culture within the business.
- Manage all aspects to ensure the effective supervision, training & development and health, safety & welfare of the wider team.
- To ensure all staff are effectively employed and adequately trained to perform their responsibilities and operational tasks in an ethical and responsible manner. Ensure disciplinary procedures are operated fairly and consistently.
- Manage through others by setting targets, objectively measuring performance, providing regular coaching and as required.
- Conduct weekly meetings with managers to include the dissemination of Company messages.
Health and Safety Responsibilities:
- Support, comply and ensure complicity with Health, Safety and Environmental regulations, the company handbook and all other company policies and procedures.
- Ensure all processes are adhered to by all staff.
- Analyse management reports in order to continuously improve processes and outcomes. Upward reporting as required.
- Support, comply and ensure complicity with the company’s Quality Policy Document and its objectives of delivering a profitable and unrivalled quality service admired by competitors.
- Management of the monitoring, measurement and reporting of operational and development plans and achievements within agreed formats and timescales.
- To manage the resources in-line with budgets set, whilst considering priorities of the customer and wider ATL operations.
- Involved in the strategic development of our offering to / from the transport network and warehouse customers through consultation with the Managing Director, your line manager, followed by the implementation.
- Overall responsibility for the efficient utilisation of the company’s physical assets within your area of responsibility.
- Monitor and control transport and allocated warehousing space to ensure the company’s service delivery standards and Service Level Agreements are met.
- Monitor and control the department’s performance and finances in accordance with the approved budgets and forecasts.
- To ensure that the services provided to customers are of a high quality in accordance with the company’s service policies and maintaining good relationships with key accounts in your area of responsibility.
- Identifying operational issues and implementing opportunities for change
- Liaise with clients and suppliers. Resolving matters escalated from managers.
- Prepare and / or negotiate / confirm quotations.
- Ensure the department meets all its legal requirements, including those relating to Occupational Health and Safety and other legislations, such as EU drivers’ hours and working time rules.
- In consultation with the relevant transport managers, ensuring company compliance to all transport policies, legislation and procedures.
You will from time to time be required to undertake other duties of a similar nature as reasonably required by your line manager. You are required to follow all ATL policies and procedures at all times and take account of ATL guidance
Qualifications and Training. Essential:
- International Managers’ CPC or demonstrable experience of managing a vehicle fleet and staff
- IOSH Managing Safely or demonstrable experience in the application of Health and Safety fundamentals
Knowledge and Experience. Essential:
- Experience of working in the logistics industry preferably the pallet network sector in addition to having the experience within warehousing environments
- Experience in management and development of customer relations
- Demonstrable experience of gaining the best out of contracts for the betterment of the business
- Sound knowledge of palletised freight distribution who will be expected to develop and maintain a level of productivity
Skills and Aptitudes. Essential:
- Proficient in the use of MS Excel, Word, Outlook and Power Point
- Ability to make effective decisions
- Ability to appropriately question, challenge and improve upon existing processes
- High level of honesty and integrity
- Appropriate and justified confidence in dealing with staff and customers, at all levels
- Strong data manipulation and MI reporting skills
- Flexibility and the ability to adapt to changing circumstances
- Resilience with an ability to keep calm under pressure and continue to follow the correct processes even under difficult circumstances
- Willingness to build strong interpersonal relationships with team members and other departments
- Gravitas, with the ability to build strong external relationships to enhance and strengthen the company’s profile
- Strong Leadership Skills
- Credible and confident communicator (written and verbal) at all levels of a business
- Ability to demonstrate commitment to a high quality service provision
Job Type: Full-time, Permanent
Working hours: Monday – Friday – 0800 – 1700, although flexibility is required. Incumbent will require access to a vehicle in order to attend work
Licence: International Manager’s CPC (Required), IOSH Managing Safely (Required)
If interested in this role please apply to email@example.com complete with you CV and covering letter detailing how you meet the above criteria and include your salary expectations.