Head of Transport
Department: Transport/ Operations
Salary: Dependent on experience & Car Allowance
ATL is an independent Logistics Service Provider offering
a range of warehousing and transportation services throughout the United
Kingdom. As a growing company we are
investing heavily in our people and systems to assist us in managing the growth
more efficiently and effectively.
As part of the business strategy ATL are looking to
recruit for a high achieving Head of Transport reporting directly to the
Operations Director and being a member of a 6 strong Senior Management Team;
all of whom are dynamic in ensuring business growth. The Head of Transport role will be
predominantly based at our Foston Headquarters but will require the successful
applicant to be flexible in relation work location owing to the needs of the
business. As such it is essential that
the successful candidate lives within a commutable distance to our
This is an exciting time to be joining ATL where the Head of Transport will be responsible for the development of the is wider transport team in addition to developing and implementing continuous improvement initiatives within the department in addition to the areas stated below. This role would suite a proven logistics service provider operations manager looking to step up to a more senior management position where they can have a direct impact on the development of the business.
Responsible for the leadership management, execution, direction and coordination of all transport matters within the organisation. This includes legal compliance across the fleet, managing budgets, identifying the risks, issues and opportunities within the transport function deploying innovative and creative solutions to develop the operation. Additionally the continuous review of current and future volumes to ensure that sufficient resources are engaged to enable a cost-effective complete logistics solution to customers. All as an integral member of the organisation’s Senior Management team.
Source and nature of management provided
- Operations Director & finance Director
- Staff Management responsibility
- Group transport Manager (Foston)
- Transport Operations Manager (Foston)
- Operations Manager (Carlisle) (transport function only)
- Cross Dock Manager (Foston)
- Garage controller (Foston)
- Monday- Friday 08:30- 17:00
- Ability to work from other business depots as the need of the business dictate.
- Occasional weekend cover may be required
- Access to own vehicle owing to work base location
Main duties & responsibilities
- Uphold organisations’ core values. Responsible for providing a positive and encouraging atmosphere at all times to ensure all staff work to their best abilities
- Manage, motivate, engage, empower, train and develop the team as required, including succession planning.
- Provide a creative, flexible, tenacious, diplomatic and consistent leadership to develop the department.
- Conduct weekly meetings with the team to include the dissemination of company messages
- effective leadership, integration and overall management of a focused and interrelated number of teams, ensuring all have the required skills and capability to deliver on the required contractual obligations
- Partner with the Head of HR ensuring all people issues, including ER, are dealt with in a consistent and timely manner with conclusions being resolved.
- Drive engagement through your people, always promoting improved ways of working
- Promote effective staff engagement continually working to improve staff engagement levels.
Health & Safety Responsibilities
- Support, comply and manage complicity with Health, Safety and Environmental regulations, the company handbook, Quality standards and all other company policies and procedures.
- Responsible for ensuring the safety culture and performance improvements are developed.
- Partner with the EHS Manager ensuring all incidents are reported, investigated and remedial actions completed in a timely manner
- Responsible for the effective supervision and management of Health, safety and environmental issues within the department.
- Ensure all processes are adhered to by all the planning team staff.
- Ensure appropriate MI is developed and in place for optimal management, consistently meeting customer and reporting requirements.
- Contribute toward on-going cost control, actively seeking to improve efficiency, reduce operating costs, increasing margin and meeting budget targets set.
- Leadership and management of all processes and policies aligned to the delivery and performance of the distribution function
- Conduct route cause analysis of service issues and implementing the lessons identified.
- Create, manage and execute scorecards to ensure lofty business goals are achieved.
- Utilise data to validate, analyse, interpret and deliver performance objectives to support the company’s strategic direction and growth plans.
- Lead the development of future distribution and transport network design including way to improve network efficiency, reducing time off transit, costs and process.
- Required to ensure that excellent customer service is delivered and complaints are effectively, efficiently and amicably rectified in conjunction with the group Customer Services manager. From time to time you may be required to conduct customer visits.
- Lead and manage the driver resource strategically, tactically and operationally to utilise the fleet to its maximum capacity, working closely with the Head of Distribution to ensure optimum resources are in place in addition to reducing the costs associated with agency reliance/ usage
- Ensure that all services within the department are well managed and recognised for excellent and innovative customer services, developing and driving continuous improvement through strong leadership and the encouragement of challenge and new ideas.
- Reviewing and ensuring maximum utilisation of the vehicle fleet whilst ensuring overall compliance in line with DVSA regulations through the group transport manager.
- Management of systems which ensure that drivers and vehicles are planned in accordance with the company’s operators licence undertakings in addition to ensuring the traffic office comply with the business requirements in this regard.
- Lead the production of the most cost effective delivery plan- day 1 for day 2 with all available resources, through the head of distribution.
- Develop short and long term plans across the department with a focus on execution and automation of systems and data.
- Develop and execute a roadmap that will equip the business to further complete within our areas of expertise in addition to potential new areas.
- To establish and operate as an effective delivery function demonstrating consistent behaviours and communications back to the business to ensure all deliveries are planned and resourced effectively.
All applicants for this exciting new role are required to provide a covering letter evidencing their impact in previous roles in addition to our requirements and informing of their salary expectations. Please also provide a CV of no longer than 2 pages. We look forward to your application.