Ascott Transport Limited has roots going back 150 years, starting with Pete and Joey’s Great Grandfather John Ascott, who initially transported goods by pony and cart in c.1889.
John’s son, Stanley Ascott, followed in the family’s footsteps and formed two companies – Ascott Motors Limited (which became the premier removal business in the area) and Ascott Garage Limited. Stanley’s son, Dennis Ascott, started working for the Ascott companies, who were now working with Pirelli, Bemrose, Courtaulds, Raleigh and Qualcast until his father Stanley died in 1952.
Both Ascott companies had to be sold to pay Death duties and Dennis was offered £500 “never to use the Ascott name” but he refused.
1959 – Dennis acquired George Clarke (Derby) Limited and his wife, Norma, joined the company shortly afterwards. After Ascott Motors and Ascott Garages went into liquidation, Dennis and Norma bought the old Ascott company seal and started using the trading name – Ascott Transport. They were operating from their family farm at Hartshorne with an outbuilding, yard and 10 members of staff.
1968 – Norma qualified as an HGV Class 1 driver.
1969 – Dennis and Norma renewed the “Ascott” trading relationship with Pirelli. Under the guidance of Dennis and Norma Ascott (now Chairman of ATL) the business traded successfully through two major recessions which hit the transport sector very heavily.
Early 1990’s – Pete – then Joey – joined the family business. Both of them obtained their HGV Licenses on their 21st birthdays and continued driving for many years.
Late 1990’s – They rented their first warehouse – in Wellington Street, Burton.
2001 – After Dennis died in 2000, Pete and Joey arranged to buy an old aircraft hangar, which was being used for warehousing, together with five acres of land at Foston to form a base for their growing logistics operation. This hangar and site had been part of the Church Broughton Airfield where Sir Frank Whittle had developed the jet engine during the Second World War. The company formally changed its name from George Clarke (Derby) Limited to Ascott Transport Limited.
2005 – They doubled their freehold warehousing capability by building a modern extension to the ‘old’ hangar. All the time, customer demands were leading them to provide more and more warehousing so they were continually renting units to meet these demands. In the decade from first acquiring the hangar, they had purchased adjacent land and property extending the overall site at Foston to over 25 acres.
2010 – They had extended their existing warehouse at Foston again and built offices for their ever-growing staff numbers – one of their purchases had been an old adjoining poultry farm extending to 11 acres which had provided 110,000 sq ft, albeit low-level, warehousing.
2012 – Due to two of ATL’s trading partners requiring service provision in Carlisle, ATL obtained new warehousing totalling 250,000 sq ft and office accommodation for its growing staff requirement. ATL now represents the national Palletline network in Carlisle and Burton/Derby areas.
2016 – Construction of a new workshop and more offices had been completed and a new 190,000 sq ft high density warehouse with a gatehouse and additional office accommodation was underway.
2017 – ATL built an additional 15,000 sq ft office at Foston and acquired other outposts strategically placed across England, including Marchington in Staffordshire and Durham. It now had 90 commercial vehicles and 150 trailers. The growth of the business surpassed £20m turnover, which had doubled in less than 10 years, and had approximately 220 members of staff.
2018 – ATL officially opens the larger high-bay 190,000 sq ft warehouse at Foston with twice the capacity of its existing warehouses.