Senior Transport Planner
Reporting to the Transport Planning Manager, the Senior Transport Planner will be responsible for supervision of the efficient day-to-day arrangements for the delivery of customers’ products on time and in full using the most cost effective means possible and best use of available resources, whilst complying with Transport Legislation and Health & Safety.
Maximising the utilisation of the ATL Fleet through efficient planning of deliveries and collections as well as maximised utilisation of ATL drivers in line with current driver’s hours and WTD legislation. To also provide, holiday, sickness cover for the planners on General, Radial & Palletline.
Staff management responsibility
Main duties and responsibilities
- Uphold organisation’s core values. Responsible for providing a positive and encouraging atmosphere at all times to ensure all staff work to their best abilities.
- Working with Planning, Network and Administration teams to maintain and develop a positive progressive culture within the business.
- Effective supervision of training & development and health, safety & welfare of the team.
- Conduct weekly meetings with the teams to include the dissemination of Company messages.
- Drive engagement through your people and always work to improve ways of working.
Health and Safety Responsibilities:
- Support, comply and ensure complicity with Health, Safety and Environmental regulations, the company handbook, Quality standards and all other company policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the effective supervision of health, safety & welfare for the wider team.
- Ensure all processes are adhered to by all the staff.
- Analyse management reports in order to continuously improve processes and outcomes.
- Support, comply and ensure complicity with the company’s Quality Policy Document and its objectives of delivering a profitable and unrivalled quality service admired by competitors.
- Monitor and report daily KPIs to the Line Manager, identifying areas for improvement complete with proposals for change.
- Supervise and plan all relevant customer deliveries utilising the software available at site to ensure delivery windows are met.
- Supervise and plan vehicles as close to maximum capacity and time parameters as possible therefore ensuring full efficiency of the vehicles.
- Conduct incident investigations and reporting in relation to any damaged freight within agreed format and timelines.
- Ensure vehicle earnings are greater than vehicle costs to achieve a healthy margin as decreed by the Line Manager.
- Ensure all loads meet safety standards.
- Communicate routes to and liaise with other Depots / Sites.
- Source and plan backloads to avoid vehicle empty running.
You will from time to time be required to undertake other duties of a similar nature as reasonably required by your line manager. You are required to follow all ATL policies and procedures at all times and take account of ATL guidance
Qualifications and Training. Essential:
- GCSE (or equivalent) qualification in English Language and Maths
- Qualification in Supervisory Management.
- CPC Qualification
Knowledge and Experience. Essential:
- Experience of working in a transport office
- Knowledge of Drivers Hours, tacho-graph and WTD legislation
- Supervisory / Management experience within a logistics environment.
- Experience of managing teams within tight quality and efficiency parameters.
- Experience of routing / planning within a multi-drop environment.
- Experience of people and performance management.
- Good geographical knowledge the UK
- Previous pallet network experience
Skills and Aptitudes. Essential:
- Intermediate / Advanced proficiency in the use of MS Excel, Word, Outlook and Power Point
- Ability to question, challenge and improve upon existing processes
- Flexibility and the ability to adapt to changing circumstances
- Strong Interpersonal and people management skills
- Resilience with an ability to keep calm under pressure and continue to follow the correct processes even under difficult circumstances
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent time management skills
- Diplomacy and discretion
- Financial awareness
- Excellent command of the English language including communication skills, written and verbal
- Excellent communication skills with both customers and suppliers
- Ability to work in small team in addition to having experience of establishing strong working relationships with colleagues from other areas
Job Type: Full-time, Permanent
Working hours: Monday – Friday – 08:00– 16:30. Flexibility required within the role to cover operational requirements. Occasional weekend cover may be required.
Access to own vehicle owing to work base location.
If interested in this role please apply to email@example.com complete with you CV and covering letter detailing how you meet the above criteria and include your salary expectations.